11 Ways to Stay Fit While TravelingFor fitness junkies, the holidays can be a tough time to stick to fitness goals. All the travel and holiday gatherings can easily derail any diet or bodybuilding plan. It seems as though you’re constantly surrounded by sweet and fattening foods, and there also never seems to be enough time to hit the gym. Heading into the Christmas and New Year holiday, it’s important to recognize this problem and look for ways to stay fit. If you follow these tips we’ve outlined, you’ll be on ringing in the New Year in great shape.
1. Stay hydratedDrinking plenty of water is a must while traveling during the holidays because it maintains your energy levels and keeps your digestion in check. Further, when you’re dehydrated, you also feel hungry, which causes you to eat when instead your body really needs water.
2. Plan AheadBefore you leave to visit family, map out your workout routine and diet plat for your trip. By consciously thinking about your fitness plans, you’re much more likely to follow through with them.
3. Workout with online videosIf you’re not able to hit the gym, use mobile apps or workout videos on YouTube to help you get a workout in. There are numerous routines online that you can do in the comfort of your home or hotel room.
4. Schedule your workout first thingKnocking out your workout first thing in the morning is the best way to stick to your fitness goals. The later in the day you move your workout, the less likely you are to do it.
5. Use whatever time you haveA great workout can be done in 15 minutes or less. As a result, the “I don’t have enough time” excuse does not fly. If you have a free 20 minutes at any point, get to it!
6. Pack Fitness EquipmentIf you’re traveling for Christmas or New Year’s, don’t leave behind your running shoes and workout apparel. Take it with you and also throw in some resistance bands for even better workouts.
7. Complete a WODStruggling to come up with a quick routine you can do from anywhere? Search for at home CrossFit WODs in Google or Pinterest for some killer workouts that don’t require any equipment.
8. Get Out and MoveDon’t just sit around talking with family after dinner, move around and stay active. Walk down the block and back. Do a few sets of pushups. The worst thing for you would be to eat a big meal and then sit on the couch the rest of the evening.
9. Invite FamilyYou don’t have to be alone when you exercise. In fact, if you invite family and friends to join you, you’re far more likely to be successful. So invite others on your morning run or to your daily yoga class.
10. Eat in ModerationHow many of you load up your plate at Christmas dinner? I know I usually do. This year, let’s try and reign in our appetite and eat in moderation. Also, pick dessert or after dinner drinks, not both. Your waist line with thank you for taking it easy.
11. Avoid LeftoversLastly, skip the leftovers this year. Eating Christmas dinner is enough. You don’t need to eat it two or three more times the days that follow. It’s better to jump right back on your healthy eating plan after Christmas day.
We’ve laid out for you 11 ways to stay fit and healthy during this holiday season. Even if you stick to only a few of these tips, you’ll be ahead of most people. What ways do you like to stay healthy and active during this time of year?